You earn your grade! It is based on your personal achievement and effort. Every student is capable of earning an Orchestra “A,” regardless of ability or background.
Participation/Performance Attendance – 50%
- Have your instrument at all rehearsals, along with necessary accessories (personal rosin, rock stop, shoulder rest, extra set of strings)
- Have a pencil for each class in your music folder for marking music, music theory, ear training, or mini-lecture.
- Contribute to the group with your best effort – be focused.
- Bring your own book and sheet music to class each day!!! Do not assume that your stand partner will be in class on any particular day.
Sectional attendance – 10%
- Regular sectionals are scheduled for each orchestra. These are a required and integral part of the learning process.
Concerts – 10%
- Concerts are the accumulation of much preparation, and are required for all ensemble members (see MUSIC ATTENDANCE POLICY).
- Students attending the concert and fully participating will receive all of the concert points.
Playing Tests – 20%
- Playing tests evaluate your posture, left and right hand technique, intonation, tone, rhythm, position work, musicality, vibrato, etc.
- Playing tests will include scales, etudes, solos, and Orchestra music.
- Most playing tests will be submitted on Schoology.
Other/Written Work – 10%
- Written assignments will vary, and will be kept to a minimum. Freshman should anticipate several units of Music Theory, which will fall into this category.