September 15, 2017
I was incredibly proud of the work of our Orchestra students last night at the Elementary Open House at Robbinsdale Middle School. We put some tricky music together very quickly, and our students presented themselves so well to the families in attendance. While we tell families at this event every year that students who start and stick in Orchestra wind up being good musicians and good people in High School, it is another matter for them to actually see what we are talking about!
Congrats to all in attendance – you are an asset to our district and to the program!
February 22, 2017
Congratulations to Olivia Foli (Violin) & Tiffany Dinh (Viola) on their participation in the Middle Level Honors Orchestra! They were among 46 members of the ensemble selected from across the state. They participated in a full day of rehearsals at the University of Northwestern as well as a performance at the Minnesota Music Educator’s Workshop. The program is proud of the work of these students!
February 16, 2017
We are thrilled to welcome the Laurels String Quartet back to the Orchestra Rock Concert. The event will also feature violinist & vocalist Leah Ottman (LOTT). The event will be held at Cooper High School on Saturday, March 11 at 7:00 p.m. The event is ticketed, and proceeds go to supporting the Seven Dreams Foundation Instruments 4 kids effort.
February 29, 2016
All AHS Orchestra families are invited! Tuesday, March 15 at 7:30 p.m. in the AHS Orchestra Room.
February 29, 2016
These are the remaining required tour rehearsals:
- Tuesday, March 1 – 2:30-4:00
- Wednesday, March 9 – 2:30 – 4:00
- Wednesday, March 16 – 2:30 – 4:00
- Tuesday, March 22 – 2:30 – 4:00
Bon Voyage Concert!!
March 22 – 6:00 – 7:00
August 31, 2015
I am thrilled to be kicking off the new 2015-2016 school year! We are looking forward to the largest Orchestra program in the history of Armstrong High School (as far as I know!). I am excited to see returning members as well as getting to know the Freshmen.
Here are a few highlights as we look forward to the year ahead:
- We are kicking off the AHS Orchestra Boosters! Many people did a lot of work behind the scenes last year to make this group a reality. I am looking forward to rolling with this group.
- We will look forward to some events this year: the Applebees breakfast, the Orchard trip, concerts in the Fall, Winter, & Spring.
- Orchestra Hall for the Symphony Orchestra will feature the “Requiem for the Living” by Dan Forrest – a terrific piece that will be a thrill for all.
- Solo/Ensemble: we look forward to maintaining our high standards at this event!
- The Northwest Suburban Music Festival will be a grand event for the Symphony, hosted this year at Blaine High School.
- The Philharmonic will perform at Empty Bowls in March, and the Freshman will look forward to participating in the second annual Armstrong Freshman Festival in May.
That’s it for now! I am very much looking forward to seeing the 1:1 Technology Initiative (Chromebooks) at work here at AHS. We will use them in various ways throughout the year in the AHS Orchestra Classroom.
All best to the AHS Orchestra!
August 25, 2014
Welcome back to the 2014-2015 school year for the AHS Orchestra! For Freshmen & other new students, welcome to the program! Here are a few items as we start the year:
1. We are looking forward to our second year in the newly minted Orchestra Room. Having our own space was a great benefit last year, and I am looking forward to another year in the space.
2. We are fortunate to be joined by the University of Northwestern – St. Paul for a combined concert on Tuesday, Oct. 14 at 7:00 p.m. in the AHS Auditorium. All AHS Orchestra students will perform two pieces, including a combined AHS Symphony/Northwestern piece.
3. Homecoming is early this year! The game & parade are on Friday, Sept. 19. We have built a history of having a great Orchestra float, and I look forward to see the creative efforts of this year’s Orchestra members in making us one of the loudest and most spirited groups in the parade!
4. Stay tuned for information regarding the annual Orchestra trip, and Applebees fundraiser, the coupon book fundraiser, and others to be determined. This is a non-travel year for the Philharmonic & Freshman Orchestras and a small travel year for Symphony. However, next year will bring a “big” travel year to all, and we will spend time this year planning for that big tour.
5. Please stay tuned to Schoology for classroom updates. It was a new process last year, and I look forward to using it in more ways this year.
That is it for now!! Best wishes with the final week of the summer. I will see you all soon.