Thanks to all AHS Orchestra members for a great 2011-2012! I hope that you enjoy a restful summer, and I also hope that you are looking forward to the 2011-2012 school year. Please see the letter below, sent to our Freshmen, that outlines the highlights of the next school year. Best wishes to all.
Dear Incoming Orchestra Students:
Welcome to Armstrong High School! You are ready to embark on a tremendous High School experience. I am glad that you are on board with the Armstrong Orchestra, and I am looking forward to working with you in the Orchestra program for the next four years.
Here are a few highlights of the program for 2011-2012:
- Tour – this is a “Big” Tour year to Florida, and all Orchestras are included! Please see the attached note for additional information.
- School Concerts – We will perform here at AHS in December and May in concerts featuring all of the AHS Orchestras.
- Social Events – There are five annual events for all AHS Orchestra members:
- Fall Picnic – Armstrong and Cooper Orchestra students gather at Northwood Park in New Hope to welcome the new school year. A detailed invite will come in August.
- Spirit Pals – Upperclassmen welcome Freshmen to AHS by serving a Spirit Pals in an event culminating in a Pizza Party
- Fall Orchard Trip – This trip will be a Saturday morning event in early October.
- Winter Sledding Party – We will make a January trip to the French Park Sledding Hill, with sledding to be followed by cocoa and marshmallows.
- Orchestra Awards Night – All members are invited to this year-end celebration.
- Extra Performance Opportunities – There are a wide variety of opportunities to perform in large and small groups, included but not limited to: AHS Chamber Strings, Section 6AA Solo/Ensemble Festival, Chamber Group performances at Elementary Schools, Middle Level Honors Orchestra, All-State Orchestra, 281 Honors Orchestra, All-Conference Orchestra, and others.
- Fundraisers – The Florida Tour will require $$, and there are several opportunities during the year to contribute to your Orchestra Account, including such activities as a Barnes & Noble bookfair, Happenings sale, Butterbraid sale, Cookie Dough sales, Cub & Rainbow bagging, and others.
Above is just a short list of some of the things to look forward to in the new school year: there will be much more information for you in the Handbook at the beginning of the year. Throughout all of the different events, our goal is to work together to be the best Orchestra that we can possibly be, and I am looking forward to working with you toward that goal next year. Please call or email with any questions regarding the Orchestra here at AHS.
Kevin Martin, Director